Re: obsolete JavaScript packaging guidelines

On Sat, Aug 4, 2018 at 10:43 AM T.C. Hollingsworth <tchollingsworth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 4, 2018 at 1:33 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 4.8.2018 01:17, Greg Sheremeta wrote:
> > This page
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:_javascript_
> > is terribly outdated. Even when it was created years ago, IMO the advice
> > was questionable. Today, it's definitely bad advice.
> >
> > Modern web applications use webpack for _javascript_. With webpack,
> > _javascript_ is minified and bundled, and sometimes assets are even
> > injected. I realize bundling libraries is bad for an old-school
> > RPM-based application. But no one packages _javascript_ into RPMs (try to
> > find react and friends), and the page is leading to confusion on my team.
> >
> > To prevent confusion, acceptable options would be: either simply
> > deleting the page, or placing a giant "don't follow this outdated
> > advice" banner at the top.
>
> We don't generally do either of those. If the guidelines are outdated,
> they need to to be updated, not deleted.

I'm not really active in Fedora anymore but as the original author of
the guidelines I wouldn't mind taking some time to get them updated to
reflect more modern _javascript_ practices and the new bundling policy.

Nonetheless, we still have lots of web application packages that use
direct <script> references and several that depend on our _javascript_
packages, so unless you are personally volunteering to port all these
projects to webpack the existing guidelines need to stay in some
fashion.

Certainly not volunteering for that :) I suggest updating the page along the lines of:
"We used to do this, but it doesn't scale and doesn't fit modern apps, so use webpack [or current hipster tool] moving forward."

The thing is, I can't really add a webpack-based example because we
don't actually seem to have webpack packaged, so one can't currently
build an RPM in koji using it.  I could add a grunt or gulp example
right now as we do have those packaged, but those would probably be
considered outdated too.

Indeed.

Best wishes,
Greg