Re: obsolete JavaScript packaging guidelines

On 4.8.2018 12:23, Greg Sheremeta wrote:
On Sat, Aug 4, 2018 at 3:48 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 4.8.2018 01:17, Greg Sheremeta wrote:
     > Hi,
     >
     > This page
     > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:JavaScript
     > is terribly outdated. Even when it was created years ago, IMO the
    advice
     > was questionable. Today, it's definitely bad advice.
     >
     > Modern web applications use webpack for JavaScript. With webpack,
     > JavaScript is minified and bundled, and sometimes assets are even
     > injected. I realize bundling libraries is bad for an old-school
     > RPM-based application. But no one packages JavaScript into RPMs
    (try to
     > find react and friends), and the page is leading to confusion on
    my team.

     > To prevent confusion, acceptable options would be: either simply
     > deleting the page, or placing a giant "don't follow this outdated
     > advice" banner at the top.

    We don't generally do either of those. If the guidelines are outdated,
    they need to to be updated, not deleted.

Ok. Then I suggest this page be updated to roughly say client-side JavaScript should not be packaged in RPMs.

Feel free to propose a ticket at http://pagure.io/packaging-committee/

Best tickets include:

 * draft guideline on the wiki and diff
* rationale (explained in detail, so even nonexperts in the given domain (here JS) could get the reasoning behind it)

As for now, I personally don't like your idea, as it lacks some explanation about what should the packager do if they need to package a web application that uses client side JS.

For example: the app ships client side JS bundled, but minified.
Or: the app expects me to run npm install to get the client side JS.
etc...

--
Miro Hrončok