Re: obsolete JavaScript packaging guidelines

On 4.8.2018 01:17, Greg Sheremeta wrote:
Hi,

This page
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:JavaScript
is terribly outdated. Even when it was created years ago, IMO the advice was questionable. Today, it's definitely bad advice.

Modern web applications use webpack for JavaScript. With webpack, JavaScript is minified and bundled, and sometimes assets are even injected. I realize bundling libraries is bad for an old-school RPM-based application. But no one packages JavaScript into RPMs (try to find react and friends), and the page is leading to confusion on my team.

To prevent confusion, acceptable options would be: either simply deleting the page, or placing a giant "don't follow this outdated advice" banner at the top.

We don't generally do either of those. If the guidelines are outdated, they need to to be updated, not deleted.

--
Miro Hrončok