Re: Inclusion of main version numbers in package names?

On Saturday, 18 February 2017 at 01:35, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 5:18 PM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
> <dominik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> How often would you like to support parallel installation before
> >> a subsequent major version will become generally available?
> >
> > Why would we want to support parallel installation of something
> > that isn't available? I don't understand the question.
>
> It's been quite common. Major component updates often discard
> libraries that are required for other stable, existing components that
> have not yet been updated with nor are compatible with the newer
> versions and that may be desirable for developers on an existing
> stable Fedora release. Examples that leap to mind include gcc, RT,
> openssl, and Python.

Except you're talking about two major versions being available
at the same time. Markus asked about supporting parallel installation
before the next version is available. I don't see the point in the
latter case.

Regards,
Dominik
RPMFusion http://rpmfusion.org