Re: Inclusion of main version numbers in package names?

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 5:18 PM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
<dominik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday, 16 February 2017 at 23:30, Markus Elfring wrote:
>> > Having a version in the package name should be used only in case
>> > of different parallel-installable major versions of the same software.
>>
>> How often would you like to support parallel installation before
>> a subsequent major version will become generally available?
>
> Why would we want to support parallel installation of something
> that isn't available? I don't understand the question.

It's been quite common. Major component updates often discard
libraries that are required for other stable, existing components that
have not yet been updated with nor are compatible with the newer
versions and that may be desirable for developers on an existing
stable Fedora release. Examples that leap to mind include gcc, RT,
openssl, and Python.