Re: Packaging udev rules

On 18/11/16 15:31, Sérgio Basto wrote:

hum, so use udevadm control --reload is deprecated ?

I review udev rules recently in one of my packages and systemd have 2
services: systemd-udevd.service and systemd-udev-trigger.service

trigger.service  have this command:
ExecStart=/usr/bin/udevadm trigger --type=subsystems --action=add ;
/usr/bin/udevadm trigger --type=devices --action=add

and caused many problems with last systemd update (if I am correct) ,
so we shouldn't restart trigger.service service .

I think you're confusing two different things...

The first is whether udev loads the new rules - that should happen automatically but could be done manually with the "udevadm control --reload" command.

The second is whether those new/updated rules are applied to existing devices - they will always be applied when reacting to future add/change/remove events but you need to replay events with "udevadm trigger" to apply them to existing devices.

I suspect that the udev people would tell you it's a bad idea to do that though, as you unless you target the trigger very narrowly you are going to make all sorts of things happen. A global "add" trigger for example is basically pretending that all devices have suddenly been plugged in without being removed first.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx)
http://compton.nu/