Re: Build Environment Consistency

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 22:53:20 -0800 (PST), Gene wrote:

> Wow. Is anyone even reading what I'm writing?

Yes, but it has been a lot of text without any examples.
How do you handle complex packages with scriptlets, triggers,
long and custom %build and %install sections, %check sections,
non-automatic inter-dependencies, a growing number of patches,
directory ownership, subpackages? Just to mention a few cases.
Where are the benefits over dist git plus fedpkg?

> Please DO NOT respond to this thread unless you have downloaded
> and tried my software.

That's a killer criterion then, because it ought to be possible to
discuss something without having to become its user.

> It's no wonder the state of building RPMs hasn't changed in over 7 years.

It has changed several times (just remember tools like Mach, Mock, Plague,
and Koji, dist cvs plus Makefiles, dist git and fedpkg), and there will be
more changes. The low-level tool rpmbuild is still being part of it, however.

> Togo is not a tool that converts software for you.
>
> Togo is not a tool that produces multiple packages for various distros.

It would be better to describe more accurately what it does instead of
what it isn't.

> Togo is a tool that sets up a Red Hat Package Manager (RPM) build environment for you so that you may manage your package in a sane, standardized fashion.

What exactly does it standardize? .spec files for different packages differ.
Unless you move out the spec contents into external files, which will break
src.rpm packages and require special tools to use them.

> The 'rpmbuild' binary is not only 100% compatible with Togo, it's exactly what Togo calls to build the package.
>
> Instead of using:
>
> $ togo -bp
>
> -to build the package, use:
>
> $ togo -bs package.spec # Generate the spec file
> $ rpmbuild -ba package.spec # Build the package with rpmbuild

What would it look like for a build using "mock"?
Where does togo store the files that are part of the src.rpm?