Re: Build Environment Consistency

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 4:46 AM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, but it has been a lot of text without any examples.

The examples have been listed with real-world code. They are not paraphrased or abbreviated; those are real, functioning examples.

> How do you handle complex packages with scriptlets, triggers,
> long and custom %build and %install sections, %check sections,
> non-automatic inter-dependencies, a growing number of patches,
> directory ownership, subpackages? Just to mention a few cases.
> Where are the benefits over dist git plus fedpkg?

The simple answer is that I don't. You do. All I do is break up the spec file into a more readable format. Your triggers and sections are all still there; all Togo does is break them into their own files so they're more readable.

If anything, my method works much better for long/custom sections because they are not in the same file as several other long/custom sections.

Permissions and ownership may be handled in your %post section, if you wish.

> That's a killer criterion then, because it ought to be possible to
> discuss something without having to become its user.

So if I asked you to test-drive my new car and then give me your thoughts on it, you would feel comfortable offering criticism without ever setting foot in the car?

You'll forgive me if I disagree with that notion.

> What exactly does it standardize? .spec files for different packages differ.
> Unless you move out the spec contents into external files, which will break
> src.rpm packages and require special tools to use them.

As I've said no less than five times now, it standardizes your build environment. If you tried the software, you'd know what I'm talking about; that's why you should try it before offering your thoughts.

> What would it look like for a build using "mock"?

I have no idea what "mock" is, so I couldn't tell you; you'll need to find that one out for yourself.

> Where does togo store the files that are part of the src.rpm?

Again, in less time than it took you to write this email, you would know the answer to this if you just tried the "Super Fast Example" in the readme on GitHub.

-Gene