Re: Packaging clarification regarding bash-completion scripts

Michel Salim wrote:
On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 4:46 AM, Florian Festi <ffesti@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ralf Corsepius wrote:
For those cases, 2 approaches exist:

1) let all packages which provide such a plugin own the directory, they
install a plugin/add-on to (This is the approach, which is being applied for
packaging perl-modules)

This approach, however is only functional when all packages providing such
"plugins/add-ons" obey such a convention.

2) split out the plugin/add-on package into a separate package and let
this spit-out package depend on the "base-package".
There is a third possible approach:

Split out the plugin dir into a separate package and let
plugin/add-on packages depend on it.

That is actually a very good idea.
I dislike this idea.

It leads to "one dir/file per package" packages and is functionally equivalent 1).

That way, you can even script the
following query: "which functionality do I have plugins for?" by doing

rpm -qa \*-filesystem

or whichever common naming convention we settle on.