Re: README.Dist is preferrable to README.Fedora

On 26.10.2008 17:44, Patrice Dumas wrote:
On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 10:43:28AM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
"PD" == Patrice Dumas <pertusus@xxxxxxx> writes:
PD> But is it fedora specific, or specific to the setup of the
PD> package?
Now you're just being obtuse.  I wrote the package _for_ Fedora.  It's
That's exactly my point. It is written for fedora, but is not specific
of fedora. That's why I think it is better to avoid using fedora, but
instead use a word, both more neutral and more appropriate, like
package.

+1 -- especially with the remixes on the horizon it will get confusing if you have "README.Fedora" on a dist called "Foobar" (which is a remix of Fedora; but the user might not know that)

a Fedora package.  The information is specific to the default
configuration of the package in Fedora.  The apache configuration file
in my example doesn't come from upstream; it is part of the Fedora
package.  README.Fedora is an entirely appropriate name for a file
explaining that.
It is appropriate, but README.package seems more appropriate to me,
since it is part of the package and it allows to reuse it in other
contexts without having to rename anything (reuse in EPEL, in 3rd party
repo, for local builds and local repository or 'private' repositories
accessible on the web...).

+1

And Patrice, thanks again for your work driving this issue forward; I really appreciate it as I really think it makes a whole lot of sense to have a common name scheme. There are often compromises that need to be made during packaging that are ideally explained somewhere (like for example dropping support for mp3); if we use a common name scheme for files that explain these issues then we can just add something like "some package contain additional notes for Fedora specific qualities; those are explained in a file README.package that is shipped together with the docs of each package". Well, not exactly that text, but something like that -- you'll get the idea ;-)

Cu
knurd