Re: Re: Re: iconcache, v0.5

Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 21:41:04 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:

It is a bug somewhere and the reason why gtk-update-icon-cache is executed
in post-install scriptlets. It's the only way freshly installed icons show
up in the GNOME desktop menu.
Running gtk-update-icon-cache is *not* the *only* way to see new icons. touch'ing the top-level icon dir is (should be!) sufficient for that.

Yes, but it's a _manual operation_, because the last-modified time-stamp
of that directory is not updated when a sub-directory is changed. And
gtk-update-icon-cache doesn't do anything unless the top-level directory
has changed (or is touched!). Hence running this stuff manually cannot be
avoided so far.
No one has ever suggested that 'touch' could be avoided. I don't think it can, the icon spec requires it. My point was that only 'touch' is required for proper function. Contrary to what it appeared (to me anyway) you were asserting, gtk-update-icon-cache is not required for proper function, being nothing more than an optimization (akin to prelink).

-- Rex