Re: Re: iconcache, v0.5

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Friday 22 December 2006 08:37, Rex Dieter wrote:
Sigh, problem being, we've now been waiting 14+ months for this
theoretical better mechanism.  You're willing to wait indefinitely?  Not
me.  Further, I vehemently argue that problem is outside the scope of
packaging guidelines.  Let's try to keep focus on what we (as packaging
committee) *can* solve, please.

I'm not keen on creating rules to "force" the issue though.

IMO, we're not trying to force anything here. We're trying to fix what is in our domain to fix. Most feedback I've received (even that from Matthias) agrees this is a *good thing*.

Lets not make this a political thing.

This is *so* not a political thing. I regret ever even treading on those troubled waters(1). I've resigned myself on trying to solve the *technical* problem only, at least that which is within our domain to do so.

We're not going to go ban the use of ldconfig in %post until the rpm folks work out a way to do it in stages when needed, so why would we do it for icon cache too?

imo, ldconfig example isn't a good one, but I get your point. Difference being here, messing with ldconfig can horribly break things. A stale iconcache doesn't break anything, at worst only affects app startup time (a little).

How about we turn this around a bit, instead of focusing on the bad, how about something good that could come of this: installs/updates will go a heck of a lot faster, ~0.2-0.5 seconds per package! I wonder how faster a default Fedora install would be. (:

-- Rex

(1) Yes, I got a little pissy when my proposed cron-job solution was rejected out-of-hand, for some better, unimplimented, theoretical one. I'm over it, I've moved on, I feel better now. Really.