Re: Re: iconcache, v0.5

Axel Thimm wrote:
On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 06:49:46AM -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
Axel Thimm wrote:
On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 10:13:34AM -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
Looks like Core folks won't settle for anything in between status-quo and 100% fix (no in-between-compromising like using xdg-utils), so let's give it a shot.
What is the 100% fix?
100% fix is loosely defined as satisfying the motivations/criteria outlined in the latest version of the proposal.

Yes, but how would that work technically? Would an equivalent of
gtk-update-icon-cache be run on a directory upon first access to a
file within a folder with an aged index.theme? That would the only
sensible "100% fix" sound like.

Yeah, something like that. The idea with the most momentum (among Core folks) involves some sort of filesystem-monitoring deamon of some sort to auto-update cache as needed. My initially-proposed cron job which works (now) and is infinitely simpler, has pretty much been rejected.

Frankly, I don't care about the details of solving that: *it is not our(PC) problem* to address or solve.

Note, however, that 100% fix is outside the scope of packaging guidelines. One thing that needs fixing wrt guidelines, however, is to not regenerate icon cache on every single package install, hence, why this newest version of the proposal drops the use of gtk-update-icon-cache in %post/%postun. On this, everyone from Core agrees (including Matthias, gtk maintainer).

And what about the vaccuum that this leaves behind? A non-updated gtk
cache mechanism that cannot share mmaped icons? I don't known how bad
that actually is, but why not wait with changing the guidelines until
any better mechanism is in place?

Sigh, problem being, we've now been waiting 14+ months for this theoretical better mechanism. You're willing to wait indefinitely? Not me. Further, I vehemently argue that problem is outside the scope of packaging guidelines. Let's try to keep focus on what we (as packaging committee) *can* solve, please.

-- Rex

-- Rex