Re: fedora jam resubmit?

On 11 September 2015 at 14:42, Brian Monroe <briancmonroe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Masta also suggested updating the kickstart to use livemedia-creator instead
> of livecd-creator since the latter will become depreciated soon. I just got
> access to the kickstart git so I'll help with that, and what you suggested
> Brandon.

I've found this:
https://www.brianlane.com/creating-live-isos-with-livemedia-creator.html

If we're depending on the other kickstarts then we should get the
advantage of any updates they do to work with it. On the other hand
that reference to flattening the kickstart (unless it's just a
convenience thing) is a bit worrying. Of course if we're relying on
the other kickstarts there's also the possibility of being randomly
sunk again because someone else has broken something.

> Another thing Brandon brought up, If we're working on changing/reworking the
> spin, is there a consensus to move to a lighter DE to help with performance?
> I'm in favor.

I don't mind, since using KDE for the spin I've come to quite like it
and don't find it too bad in terms of performance installed, but of
course on my own system I can install whatever desktop I like.
Performance in a live boot probably would benefit from a more
lightweight desktop (it would certainly make testing a bit smoother),
provided actual usability wasn't impacted.

> I will say that the spin does help configure jack correctly (outside of
> adding yourself to the jack users group) which is a benefit to linux
> newbies.

Definitely agree with this. Even if it hasn't achieved everything
Brendan hoped in terms of more packaging support I think having this
has helped look at and focus on the out-of-the-box experience for the
different packages included, so even if the ISO isn't widely used
people are still benefiting from its existence.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk