Re: Fedora 21 and beyond

On 01/18/2014 07:15 AM, Martin Tarenskeen wrote:
On 2014-01-18 05:21, Brendan Jones wrote:

 This hasn't happened. I'm too busy to blog, promote, berate the
 goodness of the Jam etc. Maybe someone else is. Maybe we are not
 promoting ourselves enough? I don't know. Maybe we are being lazy.

Well, there are several other options out there now. There used to be more audio/music/sound users in the (RedHat first, then) Fedora land a while back. My guess is that many migrated away (many reasons), and once in a different distribution it would be next to impossible to bring them back.

How to attract new users? I don't know. What worked for me when Planet CCRMA started was just word of mouth, that is, happy users telling others it was working for them. I don't see many posts that mention Fedora when somebody asks in the lau/lad lists (Brendan is an exception, of course)...

[MUNCH]
What I would like to see is that I could do something like:

# sudo yum groupinstall "Fedora Jam"

to install a nice selection of must-have music production software, like
what is now in the Fedora Jam spin, after installing the Fedora version
of my choice.

That would be very useful. I used to do something like that in my Planet CCRMA repository but I used a meta package (so, installing planetccrma-apps would bring in all the goodies, at least the ones I deemed "important"). A group (or groups) would be the right way to do it.

Anyway, as usual, kudos to Brendan and the others that put so much effort in the spin. Don't get discouraged!
-- Fernando

[*] BTW, a very long time ago (Fedora 3 & 4) I did create a set of Planet CCRMA installer disks which included all of Fedora and the most important audio and music packages (it even installed and booted the rt patched kernel!). It was something very similar to a spin, but it was not official and was outside of the Fedora world. I admit that I did not advertise its existence a lot, but it did not prove to be popular and I stopped after those two releases - it was a LOT of work...