Re: Fedora 21 and beyond

On 19 January 2014 04:34, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 18 January 2014 at 16:15, Martin Tarenskeen <m.tarenskeen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> The good thing is that, from the moment people started to think
>> about a special Musicians Spin several interesting packages,
>> requested by members of this mailinglist, have been added to
>> the official Fedora repositories.
>
> Yes, getting packages to move from the side current of a Fedora
> spin and into the mainstream Fedora is a wonderful thing.
> Working oneself out of a job, serves to get people back to using
> Fedora to make music, rather than building Fedora to allow it to
> be used to make music.  I for one am quite happy using Fedora to
> make music.
>
>> What I would like to see is that I could do something like:
>>
>> # sudo yum groupinstall "Fedora Jam"
>>
>> to install a nice selection of must-have music production
>> software, like what is now in the Fedora Jam spin, after
>> installing the Fedora version of my choice.
>
> I like the groupinstall idea.  I wonder if it is less work than a
> complete spin?

Slightly, but the vast majority of the work is all the packaging being
done, and the majority of that is being done by Brendan right now. I'm
still meaning to see if I can get onto some of that, but have been
meaning to do that for months now. I think the actual intention behind
the current spin was to promote the available tools, you can of course
install all the packages on any Fedora system (though from my point of
view there was the bonus that I got to try out recent KDE...). The
fact there's a limit to how much spins can be customised (not much)
and still be 'official' means a few things that would have made the
spin a bit more useful than just a collection of packages couldn't be
done.
On the other hand if you like synths and things along those lines
(rather than just being interested in having a DAW), then having the
spin is good because when browsing plugins you see things that you
otherwise wouldn't have known about. A groupinstall could do that too
of course.

I've just skimmed the minutes from a recent FESCO meeting and it looks
like how spins are dealt with may be changing again anyway.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk