Re: Another background idea

On 28 September 2012 22:03, Ian Malone <ibmalone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 26 September 2012 11:12, Ian Malone <ibmalone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Ivan Čukić:
>> You can try searching for theme generators for it on kde-look (I remember
>> there being a few scripts).
>>
>> For easier theme creation, you can use ksplashqml instead, it is much more
>> pleasant - reflections and all are rather trivial to do.
>>

>> I probably wont have much time to look at doing this till mid October,
>> which probably doesn't line up well with release deadlines. ksplashqml
>> is in F18 and does look a bit easier. Doing them manually is
>> plausible, but I'm not sure when I'd be able to find the time.
>>

> Hi, Brendan's been good enough to put this up on his fedorapeople space:
> http://bsjones.fedorapeople.org/F-Jam.tar.xz
>
> It's a pretty basic QML splash screen which works in F18, I'm not sure
> about earlier versions. It just pulls in some of the standard KDE and
> Fedora icons and has an ImageMagick script to do the reflections
> beforehand (they can be done with QML but it's a bit cumbersome for a
> first pass and QML in F18 doesn't have support for some of the more
> clever OpenGL stuff that would make it easier). To test, untar into
> /usr/share/kde4/apps/ksplash/Themes/ then do
> ksplashqml F-Jam --test
>
> (useful trick, the ksplashqml / ksplashx commands look for the name
> relative to /usr/share/kde4/apps/ksplash/Themes/ so if, for example,
> you want to test a theme directory you're working in, you can do
> $ ksplashqml ../../../../../../`pwd` --test
> )
>
> Feel free to have a play! Also try
> https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kde-workspace/repository/revisions/master/show/ksplash/ksplashqml/themes/Minimalistic
> for ideas. Do not do what I did and spend ages trying to get
> qt.labs.shaders or Qt3D modules to work, it seems ksplashqml does not
> provide a GL view, so the first one doesn't work and the second one is
> not included in F18. This might work:
> https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-8968

Reflections, the same idea but a bit easier to use (once you've
created the extra file for the component):
http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Creating_a_reflected_image_with_QML
However it would still need more work to make it work with
transparency on a background.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk