Re: Default Desktop Environment

Brendan,

On 2012-02-12 02:15, Brendan Jones wrote:
Hi all,

I've been thinking about what kind desktop environment would best
suit the needs of audio users.

Since the Gnome 3 release I've kind of abandoned GNOME as it doesn't
really quite gel with my workflow. Since then I've been hovering over
KDE/XFCE, but the latest mongrel openbox (mixture of xfce4/qt-razor)
setup I'm using now seems to be winning.

More details? I have been pretty happy with XFCE but this sounds interesting.

The qt razor project seems really exciting [1] - I've found the
components to be really quite mature but alas a little sparse. Razor
is not in the repos yet but there is talk of including it and it is
under heavy development [2]. I'm wondering if razor could be used as
the default desktop for an audio spin? If the desktop team ever decide
to endorse a Razor spin we could leverage off their efforts as well.

Jus thinking aloud - let me know what you think

My background is in science and technology but I am spending increasing amounts of time on music and singing so I find it is a steep learning curve with all the sound related software (I ditched PulseAudio and settled on plain Alsa). A new, lightweight spin focusing specifically on audio would be very interesting for me.

Regards,

Phil.

Brendan

[1]