Re: Better information needed for noobs like me

On Sun, 2009-12-27 at 18:51 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

pulse ought to follow the general gnome guidelines. simple user
interface as today, but add all the advanced bells and whistles in a
manner that most users won't even see. :-)

How to make that happen? Obviously the mindset of pulse developers has
to be turned around a bit, and that is rather difficult. One method that
has worked for me earlier is to show the right people at Red Hat that
there is a need for a certain change in Fedora as it would benefit RHEL
from a business standpoint. I cannot see how that can be applied to
audio, but perhaps someone here can come up with a nice tactic?

> Hmmm, not too good I guess. Pulse should not be guessing as to where to
> send things. Maybe that is configurable.

Sorry, I didn't explain that well enough. I switch pulse to the USB
headset on purpose to keep sound working in the pulse apps. As you
noted, there is no sound from pulse apps otherwise as long as jack owns
the audio hardware.

> > This way pulse apps and jack apps seem to
> > coexist nicely. With pulseaudio-module-jack I guess I could integrate
> > them and let either one own the hardware and the other one plug in.
> > Letting pulseaudio own the hardware and use it as a sink for jack sounds
> > like the easiest solution. Perhaps jack will be able to use my USB
> > headset that way. Will this kind of setup hurt latency badly?
>
> Yes, of course. It depends on what you want to do with jack, for
> anything worthwhile from my point of view jack has to control the
> soundcard directly. Then you can load the jack sink/source into pulse
> and use that to direct oulse streams to jack.

I have installed the module. No new jacks that I can see immediately.
I'll try a reboot and then play around a little bit. I anticipate a slow
day at work. :-)

birger