Better information needed for noobs like me

Thank you all for a very nice initiative, getting all the great audio
software working on a great linux distro. :-)

I have browsed archives a few months back, and I have looked at the
'obvious' places.

As a complete noob regarding studio work, mixers, effects and the whole
'audio workstation' thing I would love to see a little documentation
holding my hand through the first configuration steps. Something that
tells me how to do it for the latest Fedora release so I know I am not
following incompatible howtos for different applications and different
distros.

I think something like this would work:
 - Basic setup (something like the articles at
http://www.passback.org.uk/music/ updated for latest Fedora)

 - Simple special purpose workstations. Simple separate howtos building
on the basic one but setting up simple environments for various
purposes. Examples would be 'guitar utilities and effects processor',
'connecting a MIDI keyboard', and so on. Making sure everything gets
done in a coherent fashion so bits and pieces can be mixed without
running into problems later on.

Some of the problems I have run into trying to master this are:
guitarix not starting without qjackctl and arts installed. No messages
until I ran from command line.
Correct user configuration for jack (audio group membership).
Choppy sound in tuxguitar, and no matter what I do I cannot seem to get
completely rid of it. Probably because I don't quite understand what I
am doing to fix it. There are so many options...
I cannot find my USB headset in Jack audio. Is it possible to use it? It
works fine in pulseaudio.

These are issues that don't work out of the box yet, and I hope someone
can write a little documentation on how to do it all the correct fedora
way. :-)

With kind regards
birger