Re: Better information needed for noobs like me

On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 07:46 -0500, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> * The documentation is possibly what we lack most for the time being.
> Feel free to help us out if you have time and will to do so. We have
> started a page in the Fedora wiki a while ago
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AudioCreation
> for listing our audio creation type software (Fedora only) but yet it
> needs a lot more work.

I will be happy to write a little once I feel that I know what I am
writing about :-D

> * PlanetCCRMA is ready for F-11 and F-12. See for instance:
> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/fedora/linux/planetccrma/12/i386/
> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/fedora/linux/planetccrma/12/x86_64/
> You probably need the planetccrma-repo package from that repo. (Be
> careful about  the architecture)

They have just forgotten to mention it on the web page? I only found
links to the repo packages for F7 to F10... I'll add the ccrma repos if
I bump into something that I want from there. For now it seems like
everything I have needed has migrated over to rpmfusion.

> * Install the multimedia-menus package

Already done. :-)

> * For guitarix, after you filed the bug, I saw that the application
> looks for qjackctl and if it is missing it looks for a ~/.jackdrc file
> in your home directory. If it cannot find either of them, it fails.
> The ~/.jackdrc is always there when you have a working jack setup. I
> didn't think about the case where someone would start guitarix on a
> fresh installation, which hasn't run jackd yet.

:-D That explains a lot. I guess this may bite more packages if they are
the first jack app to get started.

> * Check out the updates-testing repository frequently. New updates
> usually go there first. Typically they stay there for 2 weeks and if
> no bugs are reported they go to stable. For example, Martin is a very
> good tester and I appreciate his contributions. But of course, having
> more testers won't hurt :)

I have a desktop PC at work running rawhide, so I am used to testing :-)

> * Pulseaudio is pain. As a Fedora developer, normally I shouldn't
> recommend anything about not using it.

I understand the dilemma. What are the options for having jack and pulse
coexist? I will not give up pulseaudio on my work PC, but I guess that
in the end I will need a dedicated PC for music.

Currently I have pulseaudio running with my USB headset as default
output since jack doesn't see it yet. Jack then gets the soundcard. Both
seem happy :-)

> * Look at /usr/share/doc/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.118.0/README.Fedora
Will have a look. :-)

> * For tuxguitar, please try the version from updates-testing.
Will definitely do. I tried getting it connected to jack, but it didn't
seem to react to anything I did in qjackctl so I guess it was still
talking to some other driver.

> * qjackctl and qsynth are your friends.
Must look at qsynth then. Thanks for the tip.

> * For recording&mixing, ardour is still the best in my opinion.
Great. I wasn't looking forward to wading through the app list to find
what I needed for mixing.

> * As Martin said, PlanetCCRMA list is a good  list to subscribe. It is
> a lot more active than this one. And we have Fernando, the Great there
> :)
I will definitely have to add myself there even if I don't plan to use
the repos yet. :-)

I will play around with all this new knowledge and see if I can find a
suitable PC after the holidays. In the meantime, I'll just wish
everybody here a merry christmas.