Re: Better information needed for noobs like me

On Sun, 2009-12-27 at 11:15 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 14:15 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 07:46:40 -0500, Orcan wrote:
> >
> > > * Pulseaudio is pain. As a Fedora developer, normally I shouldn't
> > > recommend anything about not using it. But it is pain, at least for
> > > me.
> >
> > As a side-note, it has started to burn Ubuntu users, too. It will
> > be interesting to see whether that will result in any fixes.
>
> A lot of work on it has happened and it is getting better, but (sorry,
> no personal attack to the very busy developers meant here) there seems
> to be some sort of reality negation field surrounding it when more
> advanced users miss features that were there before.

I guess it's like a lot of open source projects; If you want to see
features that are wanted only by a fraction of the community you have to
make it happen yourself. In some way or another. Code it yourself, or
advocate it until some developer does it for you. The best is of course
to show how it integrates with something a bigger userbase wants so the
core developers of the project do it.

> The need is there, apparently there are not enough of us (users that
> need better control of the audio configuration through the alsa mixer -
> default answer is "use alsamixer") to make any difference.

For pulseaudio there are some confusing dependencies on alsa tools when
you step outside the very narrow track. I certainly hope some more
advanced options will get built into pulse tools. On the other hand, F12
has become extremely user friendly for stuff like adding a USB headset,
bluetooth headset, USB speakers and so on. For ordinary users it has the
smoothest handling of such devices I have ever seen. That is the main
focus for pulse. Have you ever tried adding a bluetooth headset to
vista?

> In fc12 it does play nice with a properly packaged jack so that is very
> good (in fc11 that only happens if you use the Planet CCRMA jackd as it
> has a perl wrapper script that deals with pulse properly - bugs in pulse
> make the dbus interface not work when trying to release the card).

I would like to know more about how to set up pulse and jack properly on
F12. The definitive guide to what can be done and how well it works. :-)

At the moment I stop everything that uses sound, then start jack and let
it take over my soundcard. Pulse gets switched to a USB headset that
jack doesn't want to see. This way pulse apps and jack apps seem to
coexist nicely. With pulseaudio-module-jack I guess I could integrate
them and let either one own the hardware and the other one plug in.
Letting pulseaudio own the hardware and use it as a sink for jack sounds
like the easiest solution. Perhaps jack will be able to use my USB
headset that way. Will this kind of setup hurt latency badly?

birger