Re: RFC: Marketing collateral plan

On 07/29/2015 12:05 PM, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
Flyers might not be the best idea, but they are still the best thing I
have had at a Fedora booth for the audience I described above. I
remember when we had Fedora Cloud flyers at LinuxCon Europe for the
first time. They were running out much faster than Fedora stickers or
badges. And they were not very nicely done because we made them very
last minute.

To be clear, I don't have much issue with a general Fedora flyer (we should have a general Fedora preso too) - it's the release specific ones, per product, where I don't think it's worth it because the audience that would care about the changes from release to release is clearly not the same audience you're looking to reach with a general Fedora flyer.

I think the booklet you are planning is also a brilliant idea and will go a long way.

I would really like to see us get away from 'last minute' 'thrown together' materials and rather have them designed properly and reflect our brand appropriately. I am more than happy to help getting us there with a general Fedora flyer design that could be updated from time to time.

What I am not interested in is an additional 3 release-specific deliverables put on my team's schedule every release without our consent, especially when we've had that deliverable in the past and usually end up being the ones responsible for the content when it's not provided to us in time to do the design on schedule. And the alternative to it being a recurring item on our schedule of a template to be filled in by a non-designer is not okay from my perspective because the results that produces are not where we want our branding and marketing materials to be. I would rather nothing than something representing Fedora that looks unprofessional and causes derision of our ability to design things leading potential users to think our OS is as badly designed as poorly-done print materials handed out in our name.

BTW when you think of a typical consumer of our marketing materials,
please don't only think of audiences of conferences such as OSCON or
FOSDEM. We're well-known there, we go there mostly to maintain a
relationship with our user base and image in the open source community,
not to get new users. But if you go outside the open source community
shell you'll find out that awareness of Fedora is pretty non-existent.
And that's where we should focus to get new users and that's where our
current swag, which only carry our brand and no information, won't
work.

That is completely fair, and why I think a general, non release-specific flyer is a reasonable idea for the non-user audience (as I have already said multiple times.)

P.S. I would argue about the low return on investment. The equation is
not only about return, it's also about investment and at least from the
production point of view, flyers are one of the cheapest marketing
materials to make.

Investment isn't just about money, it's about the time and effort expended by the design team on putting 3 flyers together every release when they could be working on projects like Fedora Hubs or installer improvements or the release artwork. It's primarily that part of the investment I'm talking about when I'm talking about low return. Especially when a clear outline of recurring responsibilities regarding the required work items my team would need that would need to be provided to us appears to be non-existent.

~m