Re: Fedora: Freedom is a Feature.

Karsten Wade a écrit :

If you said to me, "Freedom is a feature of our school," I would
understand that meaning without knowing the CS-specific context.  Why
wouldn't that apply to the usage in Fedora?

Because feature as a general concept of "element", "part", "characteristic" exists everywhere.

In English this very general concept has acquired a positive undertone. Not just characteristic but "desirable characteristic".

In CS English because all the vendors and reviewers are unable to compare products on quality but only fill features matrixes feature has become "very desirable characteristic we use to judge software exclusively"

So Freedom is a feature means
"We consider freedom is one of those very desirable characteristics we use to judge software exclusively"

(see how awkward it is when written explicitely?)

While a short translation in a language without CS english positive undertones will only go
"Freedom is a characteristic"

In "Freedom is a feature of our school," people can infer from the context feature is positive, even in other languages. Because Freedom=good-for-school is generally accepted.

In
Fedora. Freedom is a feature
you've got little context to decide whether it's a good or bad feature.

--
Nicolas Mailhot