Self-introduction: Ben Rosser (tc01)

Hi games@,

Glad to see interest in reviving the Games SIG! I put my name on the interested packagers list and signed up for this mailing list some time ago, but I never really got around to doing that much.

I introduced myself briefly on IRC, but here's a more detailed introduction:

I am, or rather soon will be, a first-year graduate student at the University of Pennsylvania. I've also been using and playing games on Fedora since F13, back before Steam for Linux was a thing, so I got into several open-source games (primarily, Battle for Wesnoth). I've been a packager for about a year and a half now, and would love to help maintain or review games related packages.

One thing I am somewhat interested in, with regard to gaming in Fedora, is making the installation of open-source mods for games easier, especially for games that don't have their own tools to do this sort of thing. Wesnoth, for example, has a centralized repository for addon content and also ships with an in-game tool for installing such content. But then there are games like Minetest with lots of mods that do not have a centralized registry or any way to install them other than downloading sources from github.

I am not sure if the solution is drafting packaging guidelines for game mods, although maybe it would be something worth looking into-- at least for specific games? But I think it'd be nice to somehow promote the modding of FOSS games.

Ben Rosser