Re: Fedora Extras packaging beta software into production repos, why?

Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 10:29:57 -0500, Christopher Aillon wrote:
So once it's approved and built, it is the package owner's discretion to build a different version of a package, which may include so-called beta software.

Yes, which is questionable and asks for adjusted guidelines.
wireless-tools-28-0.pre13.5.1 shipped in FC5 final because there was no other version that would work with the shipped kernel + NM combination and a "release" hadn't yet been made. Firefox in FC3 GOLD was shipped as a beta (firefox-0.10.1-1.0PR1.20), as the default web browser even when there were other web browsers which were not beta in the distribution. NetworkManager in FC4 shipped as a beta (NetworkManager-0.4-15.cvs20050404) because it worked better in Fedora than the latest release. And those are just a small set of the packages I own.

Argue about all software; don't single out beta software.
But we need to start somewhere... unless we want to see many more
pre-release snapshots in Fedora Extras.
I think this entire thread is tackling the wrong problem. "Beta" versions can be as useful if not more useful at times than "release" versions as I've demonstrated. Honestly, version numbers are completely useless other than to identify the specific set of features/code/bugs in a given package. People just want software that works and don't really care for the most part what the version number is. Our goal should be looking to avoid broken software not refusing to play with the packages who are wearing a strange shirt. That CAN mean shipping "beta" software. It can ALSO mean actively not shipping "release" software if it is known broken. Playing version police will probably end up wasting people's time in explaining things that don't need to be explained, monitoring software versions, going through removal processes of packages, maybe bumping epochs, and who knows what else!

So, how do you address the real problem of making sure the software isn't broken before it goes out? How about a Fedora QA/QE initiative? Maybe build some automated tools to help. There has to be a way to attract people to testing packages before they go out. Honestly it really is fun and rewarding. If I weren't an engineer, I'd move over to QE. I'm sure lots of people would enjoy it if we sell it right and make it easy for them to perform things which make them feel like a part of the community. It can give them something to do for packages they care about which already have maintainers. Or maybe even the feeling of getting to use the software first, before it's released. Either way, if done right, it will be extremely valuable for the community, the distribution, and most importantly the individuals involved.