Re: Last warning don't modify my packages!!!

Christopher Stone wrote:
On 10/12/06, Warren Togami <wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am seriously tempted to just modify Frank's package so he will quit
Fedora.  Perhaps we will be better off.  LOL! ;-)
I'm sure there are plenty of others (including myself) who had the same thought. Thorsten's written a few times lately about his ideal of getting rid of this kind of attitude from package maintainers and I completely agree. As a relatively new member, I can attest that this foreboding 'others-need-not-apply' attitude discourages involvement and more importantly the spirit of a community. I'd much rather see maintainers take the attitude that many have expressed in this thread: "if you need to change something of mine, feel free"

Granted, package maintainers (usually) went to all the work of getting their package up-to-snuff for approval and continually monitor upstream's mailing lists and announcements to stay current, and the feeling of ownership and pride is what keeps most of us interested in software in the first place. But keep in mind, this is all Open Source Software, and more than that this is Fedora, whose sole existence is based around _community_ involvement, not individuals who happen to be in the same CVS repository.