Re: Thanks for answering the roll call. And now, a question.

> Does RH support sendmail or do they rely on the sendmail user community to
> support the product? They should just go ahead and include that "Terminal
> Server" button in the normal Fedora and RHEL install and go for it. They
> already host the K12OSN listserv. Put a couple of people on the payroll to
> help flush out the K12LTSP support wiki and answer questions on the list.
> Rebrand the product RH DesktopTerminalServer and combine it with
> thick-client deployment and imaging support and just watch it take off.
>
> There is a HUGE market waiting for the first Linux distributor who can bring
> a viable desktop to the masses. Red Hat has navigated a clear path AWAY from
> the desktop so far. They've even gone as far as to distance the desktop
> product from their branded name by spawning off the Fedora project. Reading
> tea leaves here but in doing this, they have a solid track record of
> profitability with their server products and they have avoided making the
> 800lb. gorilla angry.
>
> We need to have RH grow some cojones
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cojones>and find a way to address the
> protocols issues (for sound and video over the
> web) and deliver a product.
>
> BTW, OLPC workstations would sell like hotcakes in US schools at $200 a pop.
> Every household in the country would be buying them to use at home too. What
> do you think would happen to the protocol standards if there were millions
> of clients that were configured to use open standards in homes all over the
> world?
>
> One final note to the folks at RH... Don't underestimate the value of having
> a loyal base of users in the education market. It saved Apple from certain
> ruin during their dark years. You have a chance here to make huge inroads in
> US and international markets by putting out a solid suite of desktop
> solutions aimed at the K12 market.
>
> ;-) Paul

Well said Paul.  I would love to see RedHat adopt LTSP as a base package.  It seems a
lot of the thin client issues need to be addresses farther upstream at the OS level.
Otherwise all other fixes just seem to be hacks and patches.  Ubuntu seems to be winning
the race at this point for adopting LTSP into their OS and really working to make things
work at the OS level instead of being patched downstream.  But LTSP 5 still has a lot of
room to grow as far as speed and scalability, this is still a great time for Redhat to
jump in.

I really wish I could get those OLPC laptops as well, they sure would make one-to-one
computing an affordable possibility.  I have never liked laptop programs, but those
could make it work.  The best idea I saw for bringing the OLPC to the US was to charge
$200 per machine where as $100 would go towards the hardware purchase, and the other
$100 would sponsor a laptop in a third world country.  I know our school would love such
a program, it would bring them low dollar computing and also give some pride in knowing
they others less fortunate were being helped.