Re: Thanks for answering the roll call. And now, a question.

On Tuesday 17 April 2007 14:18, Steve Hargadon wrote:
> On 4/16/07, Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > What should Red Hat be doing in the education space?
>
> Some more information on Indiana:
>
> They aren't using Linux thin client for a couple of reasons.  First,
> they are purchasing new, Dell and whitebox PCs for under $300, and
> they get the benefit of thick-client usage.  They use Ardence mostly
> to stream down the full OS to each PC.  According to some
> conversations I've had with Mike, they haven't felt that LTSP would
> give them the functionality that they want, and didn't see a huge
> price savings.
>
> However, that may now be changing.  One of their most difficult
> hurdles is that the full PC generate a lot of heat, and they have to
> upgrade the air conditioning in the school buildings--and that's
> turning out to be a problem.  Using some low-watt thin-clients may be
> the answer for them.
>
> They are also experiencing some difficulties with Ardence.  They were
> bought by Citrix, which is owned by Microsoft.  I've been in contact
> with Mike from fl_TeacherTool, as he has visited a site in Canada that
> is running thick-client streaming full FLOSS.  Seems like this might
> be a good option for them as well.
I hadn't heard that part. My understanding is that Ardence is basically doing
NFS root of a full OS. Which is similar to what LTSP 5 (muekow) is doing on
Ubuntu and a few other distributions
.
--
Chuck Norris is a hack. MacGyver could build a gun from a paperclip and shoot
Chuck Norris, then build a Stargate from a toaster and hide the body on some

Public Key available Here:
http://www.bravegnuworld.com/~rjune/pubkey.asc