Re: Thanks for answering the roll call. And now, a question.

On 4/16/07, Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What should Red Hat be doing in the education space?

Some more information on Indiana:

They aren't using Linux thin client for a couple of reasons.  First,
they are purchasing new, Dell and whitebox PCs for under $300, and
they get the benefit of thick-client usage.  They use Ardence mostly
to stream down the full OS to each PC.  According to some
conversations I've had with Mike, they haven't felt that LTSP would
give them the functionality that they want, and didn't see a huge
price savings.

However, that may now be changing.  One of their most difficult
hurdles is that the full PC generate a lot of heat, and they have to
upgrade the air conditioning in the school buildings--and that's
turning out to be a problem.  Using some low-watt thin-clients may be
the answer for them.

They are also experiencing some difficulties with Ardence.  They were
bought by Citrix, which is owned by Microsoft.  I've been in contact
with Mike from fl_TeacherTool, as he has visited a site in Canada that
is running thick-client streaming full FLOSS.  Seems like this might
be a good option for them as well.

Steve

--
Steve Hargadon