Re: Thanks for answering the roll call. And now, a question.

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 12:19:12 -0700, Steve Hargadon wrote
> On 4/16/07, Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > What should Red Hat be doing in the education space?
>
> Some more information on Indiana:
>
> They aren't using Linux thin client for a couple of reasons.  First,
> they are purchasing new, Dell and whitebox PCs for under $300, and
> they get the benefit of thick-client usage.  They use Ardence mostly
> to stream down the full OS to each PC.  According to some
> conversations I've had with Mike, they haven't felt that LTSP would
> give them the functionality that they want, and didn't see a huge
> price savings.

I agree that some of the shortcoming from thin terminals can more easily be solved with
network booted thick clients.  But the idea of the lower power usage machines and the
longer life cycle of thin clients seems better in the long run, but those few hurdles
need to be overcome with multimedia and server clustering to really work well.  A thin
client mounted on a flat screen seems the most efficient.

>From what I understand Indiana isn't necessarily forcing Linux either, the schools have
the choice of putting Windows or Linux on the clients.  I don't necessarily disagree
with that approach, I think schools can benefit from running Windows, OSX and Linux
together to better prepare them for the real world.  I see Linux as being the means to
distribute mass computing (one to one), but I still see the need for a Windows lab or
and OSX lab to teach more specific courses for some schools.  That being said, a Linux
cluster should also be able to authenticate Windows and OSX clients and provide a
roaming profile seamlessly between all 3 platforms.

I also see our teachers and staff at our schools using thick clients, and students using
thin clients.

Jim