Re: Thanks for answering the roll call. And now, a question.

On 4/18/07, Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

>> What we're missing now is the complimentary push for a big, ambitious
>> vision (that is simultaneously quite practical) that will catch
>> people's attention and make them think of free software as something
>> other than a low-rent alternative.  OLPC's the best chance we're going
>> to get for that.  It is our big splash.  And I think it is the right
>> thing, pedagogically and technologically.
>>
>> --Tom
>
> Being that this initiative is being developed in the US, I sure wish we
> weren't put on the back burner.  We sure could use the OLPC program in
> our school, but from what I read that won't be a possibility for a few
> years.

If you can convince one of the states in the union to pony up for the cash
to guarantee a million units, I'll bet you could be on the front burner
pretty quick.  Seriously.

I just wonder if we couldn't get Sugar onto our existing systems
before we try to convince our state governments to buy a million
laptops (and Quanta to sell us a million laptops?)?  It seems like an
easier bar to cross.

--Tom