Re: more newbie-friendly dual-boot instructions?

On Sun, Dec 06, 2020 at 05:26:26PM -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> So by newbie, you don't mean newbie, you mean
> has-a-luxury-of-time-to-learn-from-scratch-how-to-partition-hard-drives-
> and-aware-of-other-distros-and-their-recommended-procedures-and-knows-
> what-a-distro-is-in-the-first-place?

I'm not sure if this directed to me is to me or what, but: usually people
who become aware of Fedora are already aware of Linux generally, and maybe
familiar with a certain other option with a larger user community. They
learn pretty quickly that "pick a distro" is a first step. They read
articles like this one:

  https://www.techrepublic.com/google-amp/article/linux-the-7-best-distributions-for-new-users/

... which says:

   "Fedora 33 is that Linux distribution that welcomes new users, but also
    gives them plenty of room to grow and learn. If a user wants to use the
    desktop and never venture beyond simplicity, Fedora can do that. For
    those users who eventually get bored and want to explore a bit more,
    Fedora can do that as well."

... which is awesome, but then that user runs up against the difficulty that
is installing, and yeah, unless they're ready to devote a whole machine,
partitioning is going to be staring them in the face pretty soon.

> By newbie I was thinking rather than shuffling the deck chairs on the S.S.
> Already-Uses-Loonix *and* was born before 1995, actually getting a fresh
> population to try hopping aboard! Ahoy!

Sure! That's included in the above as well.

> If they can buy a USB stick at a local drugstore, stick it in, download an
> exe file and install and run it, it's already asking a lot I think of the
> specific audience I was eyeing (bored and quarantined remote learning
> students who own one computer and can't F it up or they can't go to
> school.)

Right, "going to a drugstore" is a lot right now. :)

> VM would probably be better and lower risk except that gets dicey cuz you
> dont know what VM software they're using.

I agree with both of these. It's just not easy either way.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>