Re: more newbie-friendly dual-boot instructions?

On Sun, 6 Dec 2020 at 23:59, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On the other hand, my hesitation with telling people "dual boot is hard" is
> that, like in the referenced Ask question, people are being told by other
> distros "setting up dual boot is easy and the best way to get started."

I second this. Other distros actuall advertise dual booting and
include automatic tools in their installer to resize a partition and
setup the installation.

> So, if we say "actually, don't dual boot, here's a whole 'nuther thing which
> may require you to install extra software trust us it'll be even easier", a
> lot of people are just going to say "never mind, Fedora is making things
> complicated again", which is what I wanted to avoid in the first place.

This is from by days in uni when I use to actively evangelise Fedora
to fellow students. Most newbies look for easy to use guide for dual
booting. The docs on docs.fp.o are too detailed to the point where
people have found it completely confusing.

So I used to have a PPT that showed how to dual-boot Fedora, I can
share if anyone is interested. It worked for most Windows laptops with
EFI.

On the other hand, we need proper sections linking to either using
Fedora as a virtual machine or dual booting on getfedora.org, right
after a user downloads.

--
Amitosh