Re: more newbie-friendly dual-boot instructions?

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 11:17 AM Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would strongly recommend running any official recommendations by the Anaconda team... I know when I worked more closely with them, they preferred very strongly to not recommend multiboot nevermind to newbies.

Yep, it's a good point. I'm reminded they'd prefer to remove this
functionality from the automatic path.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Anaconda_Reclaim_Disk_Space

That change ran up against the unpopular fact that using Custom UI is
much more complicated to do the same task. The change was withdrawn.
But nevertheless, the trial balloon has been raised.

Also, the installer doesn't resize LVM, nor Btrfs, nor macOS's APFS.
It shrinks only NTFS and ext4 on plain partitions. That means there's
already something of an inconsistency in the UX, and the
documentation. The user needs to know what they're starting out with,
to learn whether or not the Fedora installer is really a "one stop
shop" that can do the installation. Or if they need to use some other
tool first.

On recent Macs with T2 security chips acting as the controller for the
NVMe drive, and Secure Boot, and sip - dual boot really has become a
pain.

--
Chris Murphy