Re: top 10 wiki pages that should become docs

On 10/24/2017 11:56 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> As I hope everyone knows, the plan is to change the Fedora wiki from
> being a mix of user and contributor documentation and workspace into
> *just* being active workspace. But, we have a number of very popular
> pages which are pure documentation. We should migrate these. Here is
> the top list (leaving off things like EPEL and Join), in order for
> page views in 2017 to date:
>
>  1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB
>  2. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade
>  3. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Windows_Virtio_Drivers
>  4. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_edit_iptables_rules
>  5. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2
>  6. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_an_RPM_package
>  7. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SysVinit_to_Systemd_Cheatsheet
>  8. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Firewalld
>  9. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_package_manager
> 10. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Raspberry_Pi
>
> It'd be awesome to set some team goals around getting these migrated.
> Maybe even a VFAD?

Hi all,

It would be helpful to communicate these changes out to build awareness
and attract new contributors. I want to help contribute time to move
community wiki pages to docs and help build awareness for this migration
(but need help to do this).

I am new to this list, but after Flock this year, the CommOps team has a
strong interest in helping with this too, at the community docs level.
Since my time is focusing down on specific tasks in Fedora, this is
something I want to help support the team with (so a small team of busy
people aren't migrating eons of wiki docs).

By early November, I want to do a post or first part of a mini-series on
the Community Blog to help explain **why** these changes are important
and why we need help from others to do it. I assume the comment about
most people knowing of the planned migration is aimed at the docs team,
not the wider community. I want to help build that awareness outside of
this team too – not just that it's happening, but why it's happening.

Are there any written updates / blog posts by any team members of the
work over the last few months? This will be a good reference for me
since I'm jumping in late.

Also, are there any "recommended reads" on writing AsciiDoc with a
Fedora spin on it? I got a taste of it at Flock, but it would be helpful
to know if there's a "recommended read" on AsciiDoc by the Docs team, if
it isn't only the upstream documentation.

This is exciting to me, and this week at All Things Open¹, the
importance of documentation is a common theme for building better
projects. I hope to be of help to this, maybe less with actually
migrating docs, but helping enable others to write docs too.

Thanks!

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory