Re: Release Notes RPM

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017, at 02:42 AM, Zach Oglesby wrote:
> Now that we are on the new asciidoc/asciibinder system I was thinking
> about the release notes RPM and the fact that the it was generated by
> publican. Last I check the RPM is still a blocker for releases, and as
> it stands now, we don't have a way to make this with the new source
> docs.

I am not sure this would be to hard to recreate.  The existing release
notes appear to be not much more than built HTML trees.  We can do that
with the new tooling.  I am too tired to write a spec file tonight, but
I suspect it would require us to:

1. Do a pagure release
2. update the spec to point to that
3. Use asciibinder to package the release notes `asciibinder package`
4. put the content of _package/main into
/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-notes/en-US
5. supply .desktop files to launch the index.html

> My personal preference would be to remove this as a requirement for
> releases, but this needs to be discussed with a larger group of people
> as I don't think we can just say this is not longer a release criteria.
> I am not sure who we need to talk with (FESCo? RelEng?), but before we
> talk to them we need to have a discussion about it here and figure out
> what the docs team would like to see done so that we are talking with
> one voice.

This is the meat of the matter.  I am not not convinced that the Fedora
Editions use cases make sense to have a blocking content containing
Release Notes RPM.  I'd rather see a standard package that is no longer
blocking or non-opitionally installed that just redirects the user back
to docs.fedoraproject.org.

regards,

bex