Re: Orphaning FreeIPA guide

On 08/05/2016 09:27 AM, Martin Kosek wrote:
> On 08/05/2016 04:12 AM, Pete Travis wrote:

>>> +1, it indeed makes sense for the general case. Did you create some
>>> RFE
>>> Bugzilla or should I do it somewhere?

>>> Good! Please keep me posted, so that I can give the good news to
>>> FreeIPA
>>> developers!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Martin
>>> --
>>>

>> Hey Martin, I've just a robots.txt to disallow all user agents from
>> indexing the FreeIPA Guide paths.  I've also added a permanent redirect
>> to the upstream documentation:
>>
>>    RewriteRule ^/.*?FreeIPA_Guide.*? "https://www.freeipa.org/page/Docu
>> mentation" [R=301,L]
>>
>> Both may take some time to propagate.  Removing the content itself has
>> proven troublesome, so I broke out the sysadmin-not-webdev hammer and
>> pounded out a solution.  Will this work for you?
>
> Hi Pete,
>
> Thanks for help! It sounds like this should indeed work, let us wait a bit
> until this propagates. I assume this means that FreeIPA Guide will be still
> listed in the Fedora Documentation left bar, but since it will be redirected to
> FreeIPA Documentation page, I assume it will bother more the Fedora Docs team
> than the FreeIPA team :-)
>
> Martin

Hi Pete,

I see the redirect still does not work and
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/18/html/FreeIPA_Guide/index.html
is still active.

Maybe the RewriteRule does not work properly (I tested in an online .htaccess
tester)? Instead of the original one, I tried following:
~~~
RewriteRule ^.*/FreeIPA_Guide/.*$ "https://www.freeipa.org/page/Documentation";
[R=301,L]
~~~
and it matched better in the online tester.

HTH,
Martin