Re: New member

On 08/21/2014 01:20 PM, Eric Griffith wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I have used Fedora for a number of years now (a few of you may have
> seen me in the forums, or on Phoronix), but I have decided that I wish
> to finally contribute to the project itself. As I just starting to
> learn Python, C++, and HTML/CSS/JS, but I am starting school for a
> Bachelor's Of English, I thought documentation would be the best way
> to start and get my foot in the door.
>
> I am also requesting permission to join the "docs" group on FAS for my
> user (egriffith), as well as a pointing-in-the-right-direction for
> where to get started contributing.
>

> Cheers,
> --Ericg--

Welcome Eric!  I'm glad you've decided to join us.   Petr has covered
the reading material and social arrangements, so hopefully we'll hear
more from you.  Ironically the docs on joining docs sometimes need the
most attention, so if you find something that doesn't quite add up, ask
questions or take the initiative and edit.  We can get so focused on
today's priority that maintenance might need someone to complain :)

That brings another idea to my caffeine-deprived mind.  ( You'll notice
that we aren't shy about throwing around ideas before they're fully
formed; the group does a great job of forging idle thoughts into
productive ideas - or slag... )  You're coming from a part of the Fedora
community we don't hear a lot from.  It's always bothered me that there
are so many people investing vast amounts of time and wit into forums
discussions about Fedora, but we don't hear from them often.  Fedora
Docs has had a lot of discussions about community outreach, getting
feedback and input from the 'unofficial' community areas like
fedoraforum.org, and using the information to incrementally improve our
offerings or write new things targeting their needs.

Eric, as an established participant there, where do you think we need to
improve to better address the needs of that section of the user base?
Are there any pain points that come up regularly that we could address
with better docs?  Do you have any ideas about how we can establish an
effective feedback loop?

While we're pondering all that, yes, please do help with the release
notes!  At this stage in their development, we're doing a lot of
research and dumping info into the wiki at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Documentation_beats .  Later the
info gets converted into docbook and committed into the git repository
for the RNs, but now, the focus is on content.

Of course, if you had *anything else* in mind to write about, we can
find a place for that too. There's lots to work on - what would you like
to do?

--
-- Pete Travis
 - Fedora Docs Project Leader