Re: New member

Hi Eric! Welcome to Fedora Documentation Project.

Some info for new contributors is available on the wiki: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_Docs_Project.

For info about how we work and what tools we use you can take a look at our Documentation Guide (http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Draft_Documentation/0.1/html/Documentation_Guide/index.html). It's a fairly long read, but don't be intimidated - it covers more than you need right now. I'd recommend going through chapters 1-3 (Introduction, Documentation Workflow, and Brief Introduction to DocBook), but don't worry about learning everything described there immediately.

You should also join us on IRC. Most of us hang out in #fedora-docs on FreeNode, and every Monday at 14:00 UTC we have an hour long meeting in #fedora-meeting. This meeting is a great way to stay in touch and find something to do, so you should definitely come say hi if you can. (The meetings aren't mandatory though.)

A few people also hold "office hours" on certain times each week - that means someone is guaranteed to be in the channel and ready to answer any questions you might have. Office hours are every Thursday 12:00 to 13:00 US/Mountain time (held by randomuser), and every Sunday 16:00-18:00 UTC (lnovich).

If you can't make it to meetings, no problem - just ask in our channel. You might not get a reply immediately, but usually someone will see your messages and reply or point you to a specific person you should ask. Most active people in the channel are randomuser (the docs project leader), Sparks, jsmith, zoglesby, lnovich, jhradilek, pkovar, me (pbokoc)... and a bunch of others I'm surely forgetting.

You should also talk to randomuser about your FAS group memberships.

Active contributors are mostly from the US and Europe, which might make finding people on IRC somewhat more difficult if you're from, say, Australia or New Zealand (because timezones). If you can't get a hold of anyone, just use this list.

As for what work is there to do, I think that will be better explained in real time (on IRC), this mail is already long enough. Come say hi in the channel if you can and we'll get you something to work on - probably some F21 Alpha Release Notes beats as they're our top priority right now.

Cheers,
Petr