zRAM Swap Support in Anaconda

Hello from Montreal Quebec, Canada

I have some comments about the Installer document ( http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Documentation_Beats_Installer  ). It is mainly about grammar and sentences.  I have been a tech writer as a profession and also a system architect.  So my comments are inline below with either italics or in red font or as a Revison. Text to be removed is in bold Italics and in a  smaller font

Original TEXT Revised follows.

zRAM Swap Support in Anaconda

The Anaconda installer now supports swap on zRAM during the installation.

zRAM is a standard block device with its contents compressed. Placing swap into such device during the installation allows the installer to store more data in RAM instead of the hard drive. This is especially helpful on systems with low amounts of RAM available - installation on these systems now runs significantly faster. Testing also shows that with zRAM swap, it is now possible to install Fedora on systems with as little as 320 MB RAM.
This feature is automatically enabled if Anaconda detects 2 GB or less memory, and disabled on systems with more than 2 GB RAM. This behavior can be changed by using the inst.zram=on or inst.zram=off boot option at the boot menu to force zRAM swap on or off.
Specific limits, numbers and way of implementation may be changed in the future.

Changes in Anaconda Boot Options

A boot option is an option used to modify the installer's behavior on the boot command line. The following boot options have been added in Fedora 21:

REVISED
zRAM is a standard block device with its contents stored in compressed format. The Anaconda installer now supports swap using zRAM during the installation.

Placing swap into such device during the installation allows the installer to store more data in RAM instead of in the hard drive. This is especially helpful on systems with low amounts of available RAM available - Fedora  installation on these zRAM systems now runs significantly faster. Testing also shows that with installations using zRAM swap, it is now possible to install Fedora on systems with as little as 320 MB RAM.  (Remove "with" and "now" ),
This feature is automatically enabled if Anaconda detects 2 GB or less memory, and disabled on systems with more than 2 GB RAM. This behavior can be changed by using the inst.zram=on or inst.zram=off

Changes in Anaconda Boot Options

A boot option is an option used to modify the installer's behavior on the boot command line. The following boot options have been added in Fedora 21:
  • inst.zram= - use this option to activate zRAM swap on (                                    (remove the "on"  ) inst.zram=on) or off (inst.zram=off).
  • inst.dnf - forces Anaconda to use the experimental DNF backend for package installation instead of YUM
  • inst.memcheck - perform a check at the beginning of the installation to see if there is enough available RAM, and otherwise stop the installation with an error message if there is not. This option is enabled by default, however, you can use inst.memcheck=0 to disable it.

END OF REVISION

My personal comment.

For two years I have been offering to correct and verify the English text, prior to it's going to translators.  Somehow that has never been acted upon.  Please note, technical writing must be ego-less. Many times, when I was writing professionally, I thought I had a great document, only to have the editor come back to me with big Xs on the pages.  I had to learn to accept the editor's feedback after negotiation.

I would very much prefer to use a proper word processor to complete the edits. Libreoffice has a text markup facility, and it would be faster and easier to make use of it, rather than the po type of writing support for first and second drafts.

If I am out of line, I apologize, but Fedora documentation must be as good as the Fedora release, and we often know that good programmers are less skilled at documentation writing.

Regards

 Leslie
Mr. Leslie Satenstein
Fedora User since Fedora core.