Re: [389-users] How to get alternate versions of src RPM's via yum, or better yet without yum?

On 11/30/2010 8:09 AM, brandon wrote:

>> Shorter answer: Yum will attempt to obtain files from whatever
>> repository you tell it to use.  If you want to download files from an
>> RHEL 5 repo, all you you need to do is configure said repo and tell Yum
>> to use it.
>>
>> As an addendum, you might be particularly interested in "yumdownloader",
>> which is a tool for downloading packages (including source RPMs) without
>> actually installing them.
>
> Assuming it is possible to set a priority, so the F13 repo will have a
> lower priority than the EL5 repo, is there a document somewhere that you
> know of to explain this, or am I relegated to having to dig into another
> mailing list and make a different shout-out to a different group of
> people? Are you telling me to just go away?
>
> I ask here because this project has decided to use yum as a distribution
> method. I believe by making such a decision there is a bit of
> responsibility around helping people use the distribution tool the
> project has selected, instead of sending people blindly into a different
> project for help.
>
> To be honest, I still think the simplest (but ugly) method may be to
> just browse koji, pull the top level file, read the rpm spec, pull
> dependencies and so forth in the same manner. Painful as it may be,
> there is less of a question about things that way.  Yum is nice, but
> blind.  In my experience with it, it is more of the fisher price tool of
> software downloading, you have a few big buttons but little control.
>
> It'd be nice and simple if there was just a folder where all of the src
> RPMs are availalble for download, much like is done on the Redhat side
> of the project:
>
>     ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/RHDirServ/SRPMS/
>
> Nice, succinct, and everything in one place.

I thought I replied to this thread yesterday but don't see it now, so my
apologies if this is a duplicate.  Can't you use the version intended
for RHEL in the EPEL repository, even if you have to pull the source
rpms and rebuild with different options or patch files:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/SRPMS/

Or use an RHEL or CentOS machine with yumdownloader (from the yum-utils
package) to grab them.  Even if you have to install a virtual machine
under some other OS, that's not at all difficult.

Or, if there is any way to connect to an internet-connected box, you
might be able to use ssh port-forwarding to set up a proxy for yum to
use directly.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx