Re: [389-users] How to get alternate versions of src RPM's via yum, or better yet without yum?

On 11/30/2010 01:54 AM, Daniel Maher wrote:
> On 11/29/2010 11:18 PM, brandon wrote:
>
>> A more direct question: what is the easiest way for me to pull the
>> latest RHEL-5 stable source as an RPM and its dependencies and sources,
>> if I'm not on a RHEL-5 host?

I think that is more of a snarky answer than a shortest answer. While
shortest, it doesn't help the question any :)

> Shorter answer: Yum will attempt to obtain files from whatever
> repository you tell it to use.  If you want to download files from an
> RHEL 5 repo, all you you need to do is configure said repo and tell Yum
> to use it.
>
> As an addendum, you might be particularly interested in "yumdownloader",
> which is a tool for downloading packages (including source RPMs) without
> actually installing them.

Assuming it is possible to set a priority, so the F13 repo will have a
lower priority than the EL5 repo, is there a document somewhere that you
know of to explain this, or am I relegated to having to dig into another
mailing list and make a different shout-out to a different group of
people? Are you telling me to just go away?

I ask here because this project has decided to use yum as a distribution
method. I believe by making such a decision there is a bit of
responsibility around helping people use the distribution tool the
project has selected, instead of sending people blindly into a different
project for help.

To be honest, I still think the simplest (but ugly) method may be to
just browse koji, pull the top level file, read the rpm spec, pull
dependencies and so forth in the same manner. Painful as it may be,
there is less of a question about things that way.  Yum is nice, but
blind.  In my experience with it, it is more of the fisher price tool of
software downloading, you have a few big buttons but little control.

It'd be nice and simple if there was just a folder where all of the src
RPMs are availalble for download, much like is done on the Redhat side
of the project:

   ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/RHDirServ/SRPMS/

Nice, succinct, and everything in one place.

-Brandon