Re: [389-users] How to get alternate versions of src RPM's via yum, or better yet without yum?

On 11/29/2010 03:09 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:
> On 11/29/2010 03:03 PM, brandon wrote:
>> Is there an easier way to get the SRC RPMs without YUM?
>>
>> I find the YUM repo a very frustrating way of getting the software. I
>> want the the src RPMs so I can rebuild them myself, but I don't want to
>> get the version that is pushed via yum by default.  I have F13, which is
>> pulling 389-ds-base 1.2.7.1.  I want the latest stable, 1.2.6 and its
>> various dependencies.
>>
>> Suggestions?
> I'm not sure how to provide what you want.  You say you want the latest
> stable - for F13, that is 1.2.7.1 and the other
> dependencies/co-components such as 389-admin-1.1.13, 389-adminutil, etc.
>
> If you would rather use the latest 1.2.6 which is 1.2.6.1, I can show
> you where to get the srpm, but how do you know which other components to
> use with that?

My mistake, I was checking directory.fedoraproject.org which says 1.2.7
is still in alpha. But this side-steps the actual issue I am faced with.

The problem I have is I'm on a dark site, and we pull the 389-ds source
from another computer (which happens to be a F13 computer for now), copy
it over via convoluted means to a redhat computer where we recompile and
use 389-ds.  We used to use Redhat DS, but we wanted some of the newer
functionality available in 389-ds.

A more direct question: what is the easiest way for me to pull the
latest RHEL-5 stable source as an RPM and its dependencies and sources,
if I'm not on a RHEL-5 host?

I think an implicit flaw in the whole "yum to distribute" method is it
assumes you are on the host you want to install on.

The only other method I've found is to browse koji. It is a bit like
trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Thanks,

-Brandon