Re: Proposal: Rolling Release

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'd like that very much but given what you have to work with, I'll agree it
is impossible.  However, like any other QA aspect, I'm suggesting that you
do the best you can not to break local or 3rd party programs built on the
platform you just shipped.

How about this for an answer. Given what we have to work with right
now. We are doing our best.

OK, but if breakage didn't scare off the user base maybe there would be a lot more to work with.

Now if you and anyone else don't think our current best effort is not
good enough.. you can certainly choose to add your manhours into the
effort.  Which packages would you specifically like to help
co-maintain?

It's not really about effort or engineering or packaging, all of which are probably better in fedora than anywhere else. It's more about timing and recognizing the effect of an interface change on the things on the other side of it. Just admitting that there are things on the other side of the interfaces you ship would be a start. Otherwise it is an endless package shuffle for no end purpose and no way to tell if you are going forwards or backwards.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx