Re: starting Fedora Server SIG

Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
* Les Mikesell [12/11/2008 21:26] :
I thought the point of LSB was to make it possible to provide a working program independently from any distribution's packaging system quirks.

[ I'm having trouble parsing the above sentence. ]

The point of the LSB is to enable third-party vendors to make a
LSB-compliant binary package and ensure it runs on any LSB-compliant
Linux distribution. It won't be integrated as well as a
distribution-specific package but it will work.

Does the LSB demand that program be encapsulated in distribution,version-specific packages before it can work? If it does, I don't see much advantage over having to build in every distribution,version environment in the first place. And if not, then how is it supposed to know about the dependencies you mentioned.

At least that's the only reason I see to care about it at all. If it just duplicates things packaging systems already do, why bother?

Search me...
A while back, I became convinced that the LSB was a conspiracy to get
all the people interested in running closed-source software on GNU/Linux
distributions involved in a project that
  a) required vast amounts of time and energy to run and
  b) was doomed to fail,
thus minimizing the harm they could do. I haven't seen anything since
then that would make me change my mind.

I have to agree that so far the LSB appears to be aimlessly moving things around - but I don't see why that would have to be the case if someone actually wanted programs to run.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx