Re: Dependency loops considered harmful?

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
Matthew Woehlke wrote:
I'm not trying to solve the 'install-less' workflow; the benefit from
that is IMO considerably less than the workflow *I* have, which I
illustrated above. (In fact, the only benefit at that point is
dependency marking. File tracking is irrelevant, and if you haven't
installed, you aren't providing anything, so you have only one of the
three benefits to rpm installs.)

Exactly!  Which is why your solution isn't really an answer for pruning
leaf packages.

Sure it is :-). It just only helps if you "install" the stuff that needs whatever packages would otherwise get pruned ;-).

Although that's somewhat beside the point, since I did rather try to drag the thread off on a (related) tangent.

However, it doesn't address -devel packages; for that I think you would need some form of SRPM (and you would absolutely want those to be user-owned, so we've still got the problem of a "system"/root rpm db and one or more user rpm db's). There's overlap...

--
Matthew
On the internet, no one knows you're a cat...