Re: Summary of the 2008-04-08 Packaging Committee meeting

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 14:54 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> It fell down at the point where you copied _some_ of the jpackage
> packages, offering less than the original.  How could anyone think that
> was a good idea, particularly considering that for a long interval there
> was no jpackage repo support for current versions of fedora?

Fedora is a community effort, and a product of scratching ones own itch.
It seems that the only packages brought over were the ones that were
explicitly needed by somebody, and the dependencies thereof.  If
somebody wanted to make a project out of bringing everything jpackage
has to offer that we can ship in Fedora, that would be awesome.  It'd
take a lot of work, but it could perhaps help out this situation where
people want interleaving or intermixing.  If we have everything, there
isn't any reason to intermix.

Perhaps the proposal I'm working on to have jpackage make use of Fedora
provided infrastructure will make it easier to bring jpackage things
into Fedora, and make it easier to keep the change flows continuing.

One wonders what the likes of Novell does for their java stuff, like
OpenOffice and such.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!