Re: Summary of the 2008-04-08 Packaging Committee meeting

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
Le mardi 13 mai 2008 à 12:45 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi a écrit :

Nicolas, I believe you're wrong. I can't find a single revision by devrim that syncs from the JPackage spec[1]_ to the Fedora spec.

It's difficult to say since devrim took over tomcat fedora-side 5 months
ago and the last jpackage package release of tomcat5 was 7 months ago
(there are more recent jpp tomcat6 package releases, which have been
pushed fedora-side recently). What Jason complains about is that after
taking all the jpp changes for a long time, when some problems were
identified fedora side jpp was not notified of the fixes (aka downstream
patch hoarding).

Yes, and that is perfectly fine under our current system. Different maintainers can treat the same package as having a JPackage upstream or disregarding it. Even a single maintainer of a single package can change their mind after having maintained in one style for a while.

That's why I'm saying our current approach has problems. We aren't committed to following JPackage as upstream and we aren't committed to not following JPackage as upstream. So we will see flip-flopping and we'll eventually see places where a Fedora maintainer wants to diverge from JPackage and it causes issues for other packagers who don't want to diverge from JPackage.

-Toshio