Re: Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

max bianco wrote:
2008/4/24 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@xxxxxxxxx>:
max bianco wrote:

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 8:57 PM, Thomas M Steenholdt <tmus@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hans de Goede wrote:

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

I propose that we add /sbin and /usr/sbin to the path for normal
users
(as well as root) for F10? There are plenty of useful tools in there
for
non-root users (ifconfig, fdisk, parted), and IMHO, any tool which
assumes the user is root because it lives in /sbin is fundamentally
broken. The LSB doesn't mandate this (at least, not anywhere I can
see),
so I propose that we just do it.

Anyone opposed to such an action?

Not at all,

+1000000

I've been consistenly changing /etc/profile todo exactly this since
the
day I started using RH 4.0

Regards,

Hans

 Isn't that more or less the same reason most windows users login as
administrator - The convenience?

 Note: I know the security risk in the two examples are not in the same
ball-park, so there's no need to lecture me on that.

 I'm merely speaking of convenience and how it sometimes makes it feel
right
to do the wrong thing.

Speaking as probably one of the most inexperienced Fedora users
subscribing to this list. I whole-heartedly agree with this sentiment.
Its already been said but I will say it again anyway. Those that know
how to add things to their $PATH will do just that and not be
inconvenienced.

 Actually, this is not true.  I added it to my PATH for years since starting
on RHL-4.  But at some point in using Fedora, I stopped because  I gave up
on the hassle of adding a custom PATH to /etc/profile.d/ every time I
installed a new box.  Additionally, I now have more shell accounts on boxes
that I only drop into once in a while when something's wrong that I've
learned to accept the constant annoyance of not having .*/sbin in my PATH.

If you don't know how to find ifconfig and add it to
your $PATH then you probably would just shoot yourself in the foot
with it, if you don't know but are motivated you can certainly find
this info easily enough. Our time on this earth is limited  but its
not that limited.

 Actually, it is.  Every day, lose six minutes from having to retype a sudo
line due to not having a PATH configured with sbin.  Most likely when you're
already stressed that something is broken and you just want to find out what
as quickly as possible.

But you are a poweruser and can make the adjustments to your profile
so you don't have to retype it everytime. I am talking about people
who have no idea what mount,fdisk, or ifconfig are for...

Completely missing the first part of my post where this is addressed...

PS: mount is already in /bin/.....
-Toshio